Jimmy was rescued from the streets in August 2009 and was a sad sight like many strays. He had no hair because of mange, and was harbouring a cocktail of other diseases.

Routine blood test revealed Jimmy was suffering from Babesia gibsoni and Dirofilaria repens (tick and mosquito borne diseases)
He was treated with Imidocarb and Ivermectin. After a period of recuperation and a good nutritional diet, a repeated blood test was conducted and Jimmy was found to be clear of blood parasites. He was vaccinated, microchipped and neutered.



Alfie was picked up off the street in August 2009. He was in a poor condition and after blood tests were conducted was found to be suffering from Babesia gibsoni and Dirofilaria repens (Tick and mosquito borne diseases)

He was emaciated, suffering from mange, and also a chest infection. An old injury to his nose compounded his breathing problems.

A treatment protocol commenced which included Imidocarb to treat the Babesia gibsoni, Ivermectin to treat Dirofilaria repens and antibiotics for his chest infection.

Alfie is now negative for all blood parasites and his chest infection has cleared. He has been vaccinated, neutered, microchipped, and treated for ticks, fleas, and worms. Alfie is now living happily in an area near our land and has a girlfriend called Heli, another stray we have nursed back to health.



Bailey was standing in a road near our facility and due to his poor state we decided to take him back to our clinic for assessment. Although Bailey tested negative for blood parasites, he was suffering from mange and secondary infections.

He was treated with Ivermectin and antibiotics and when his health had improved, was castrated, vaccinated and microchipped. His skin and general health has improved considerably since then and he remains in our care.



In November 2007, we were alerted to a suffering pet dog called Dusty. We were told the dog had a persistent ear infection.
Although we are used to seeing the most horrific sights of animal suffering in Sri Lanka, we were shocked to see the state of this poor dog that was chained on a rubbish tip outside his owner’s home to die an agonising death. Blood and pus was dripping from his ears and the odour was overwhelming.

The owners had a nice house and we noticed that their other pets were confined in small cages in the back yard. This is not unusual in Sri Lanka-many pets are caged or chained. The owners had failed to take Dusty to the vets; if they had done so earlier the poor dog would have been spared months of agonising misery.

The owners were happy to hand Dusty, a terrier cross, over to us and we took him directly to a vet in Colombo. We did not have our own facilities at the time or a safe haven.
At the vets Dusty had to be sedated whilst his ears were cleaned and we paid to have him admitted to the veterinary kennels for on-going treatment.



When Stevie, a stray from the area, arrived he was almost completely paralysed from a snake bite. The locals stated he had been like this for a couple of days so was extremely dehydrated and his wounds were infected. Stevie was treated with intravenous fluids, antibiotics, pain relief, and steroids to keep him comfortable and reduce the swelling and infection in his leg.

He was in such a poor state that we thought he may not survive.
After two days of treatment Stevie was able to move his limbs slightly and would eat when his head was held up. Slowly over a week he was gradually improving and was able to move his limbs more and started to wag his tail.

When he was strong enough, we supported him to stand and helped him to take a few steps until he was able to do this on his own. During the next week, Stevie’s level of mobility improved further and he was moved to a larger run where he was able to build up his strength.

We are happy to report that Stevie has now made a full recovery and lives happily on our site.



We found Turkey curled up in a road near our site in November 2008. As photos reveal, he was in the most appalling state. At the time we had our plot of land, but no veterinary facility. Although Turkey was eating and drinking and relatively bright, he had very pale gums - a sign of tick fever, so we decided to take him to Colombo for blood tests.

This act saved his life as Turkey tested positive for Ehrlichiosis and Babesia -both tick-borne diseases. Blood parasites are extremely common in Sri Lanka and cause the deaths of thousands of strays and pets alike.

We have found that many dogs with severe mange like Turkey often have underlying disease like blood parasites, which can suppress their immune systems and exacerbate other ailments like mange. Sadly, most animals in Sri Lanka never receive a blood test and many pet owners have never heard of these killer diseases which claim so many domestic animals, including their own pets.

Through our education program, we aim to increase awareness about these diseases and the need for regular blood testing of pet dogs, as well as the control of the vector ticks and other parasites that cause these preventable, but life threatening diseases.
Turkey was adopted by a friend and lives happily in Sri Lanka.


Case Stories

As you can see from the other sections on our website, stray animals face many challenges in their struggle for survival - both natural and manmade.    

We see a range of injuries and ailments and every day presents a new challenge.
Strays can harbour a cocktail of diseases, but with no hope of a prompt diagnosis and appropriate treatment, they suffer and eventually die.

This is why our organisation assesses and conducts full blood parasite screening on all strays that arrive at our facility for treatment and surgery - including sterilisations.

We are the only organisation in Sri Lanka to routinely operate these protocols and as a result many lives are now being saved.  

Here are some case stories….. 


Heli and Dusty soon became inseparable and we continued to fund his ongoing veterinary treatment at a different veterinary facility, as well as a nutritional diet to build up his strength.

On the days of his veterinary treatments, Heli would call for a tuk tuk and Dusty, a highly intelligent boy, would race out of the house and jump in the vehicle ahead of Heli.      

Heli’s vet and all his staff grew to love Dusty- they had never experienced such a brave and gentle dog who never flinched despite the pain he endured during his regular treatments- always wagging his tail in appreciation of any attention he received.

It seemed like a happy ending, Dusty was recovering well for some months and loved his new life with Heli who he followed around faithfully.

Sadly, these happy moments were short lived. The years of neglect had tragically taken its toll on Dusty and his condition suddenly deteriorated. Just before our trip to Sri Lanka in April 2008, and despite all our efforts, Dusty passed away. We were so looking forward to seeing our friend again, but alas, this was not to be.

As Dusty lay dying his eyes were focused on the person he loved so deeply- Heli. We were all heartbroken, particularly Heli, who had developed such a close bond with this brave and wonderful dog that had become her guardian angel and best friend.

We knew that Dusty had experienced some love in his last months of life and we had all done our very best for him, but the sadness remains…

Dusty was buried in Heli’s garden. His grave lies alongside other tragic souls who were deprived of a life they deserved.
Rest in peace dear Dusty. You will always be in our hearts.






Dusty was put on a dose of strong antibiotics and intravenous fluids, and we requested that he was give pain relief throughout his treatment.

We visited Dusty at the vets until we left Sri Lanka a few days later and realised what a lovely gentle soul he was. Despite all his suffering, he wagged his tail in appreciation for the tasty food we gave him and all the hugs that he had never experienced in his life as a neglected pet.

Unfortunately, on our return to the UK, we heard that Dusty was being neglected. During his treatment he was being pulled roughly by his ears and howling in pain. He was also losing weight and appeared to be fading away.

With no sanctuary base in Sri Lanka at the time, our dear friend Heli agreed to help us out and went to fetch Dusty from the vet just before Christmas.